I did a post awhile ago (here: https://wordpress.com/post/skinnyfoodaddict.com/1415) and shared my tips on buying meat in bulk and prepping it to make meals easy. Well this here my friends is the recipe for that amazing pork gyro meat. I was impressed with the flavor and it was so easy! We ate this for days and neither Rob or I got sick of it. I don’t remember if Olivia liked it…I think that was back during her hunger stike…
The recipe comes from a great blog Damn Delicious. I haven’t made tons of her recipes, but the ones I have are good! We ate this on flatbreads that I bought at Costco! Yes it’s a big pack but they are so much cheaper there. And they freeze super well, make yummy pita pizzas, paninis, and i have even broken one in half and toasted it! Chop up some tomatoes and cucumbers, grab a bag of coleslaw mix and make the super quick dressing. Or you can buy coleslaw dressing. Last time I was at the store I found, in the produce section where refrigerated dressings are, an OPA by Litehouse Feta and Dill dressing. I think it will be awesome on these! Try it out, hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
FOR THE PORK
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 1/2-3 lb pork loin, excess fat trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 red onions, quartered
FOR THE SLAW
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, or more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne, salt and pepper. Season pork loin with spice mixture, rubbing in thoroughly on all sides.
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat. Add pork loin and sear both sides until browned, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Place garlic, onions, pork loin and 1 cup water into a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Remove pork loin from the slow cooker and shred the meat before returning to the pot with the juices; season with salt and pepper, to taste, if needed. Cover and keep warm for an additional 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage and carrots. In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar and sugar, to taste. Pour mixture over cabbage slaw, and stir using a rubber spatula until well combined. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- To assemble, top each pita bread with pulled pork, slaw, tomatoes and avocado. Serve immediately.